Friday, May 23, 2014

Don't be that guy that gets hurt

I feel like there's a wave of injuries going around lately. Maybe it's just that the weather is nicer so more people are being active and training for things.  Or maybe I'm getting older and the people that I know are getting older and we don't all bounce back from little twists and tweaks as well as we used to. 

Who knows.  But I know several people who are training for races that have had some sort of nagging injury that has either slowed them down or sidelined them for a while.  Which sucks.  

Being hurt is not fun.  It doesn't matter if it's a major injury that requires doctor visits and physical therapy or a minor injury that's just kind of annoying and makes you move a little slower or avoid certain movements.  Trust me - I had plenty of each kind growing up.  And sitting out whole seasons of soccer while I waited for my knee to heal was a bummer (although, on the plus side, I'd still get out of class early when we had away games so that I could "be part of the team" which was always fun, especially since I had Honors English with the worst teacher ever last period).

There are all sorts of tips out there on how to avoid injuring yourself while exercising - which are all valid.  But in my opinion, three tips really stand above the rest:  pay attention, be prepared, and, most importantly, listen to your body. 

I think that a lot of injuries can probably be prevented, or at least minimized, if you follow those three simple rules.  Let's look at each, shall we?

First, pay attention to what you're doing.  If you're lifting weights in the gym, pay attention to lifting weights in the gym.  Don't mindlessly lift while you're watching TV or chatting with a friend.  It's much easier to get distracted and drop that weight on your foot if you're not paying attention to what you're doing.  Same goes with pretty much any activity you're doing - if you're running outside, sure, you can have your headphones on, but pay attention to your surroundings so that you don't twist your ankle on a loose rock or run smack into a tree. 

Second, be prepared.  Make sure that you have the right equipment for whatever you're doing.  You know, don't wear sandals to go for a run or to the gym.  If you're lifting something super heavy, have a spotter there just in case.  Make sure that you know how to properly work the equipment that you're using - if you don't know, ask someone or read the instructions on the machines.  If something seems precarious, you're probably doing it wrong. 

Last, but certainly not least, listen to your body.  Start to recognize the difference between good pain and bad pain, and stay away from bad paid.  If doing squats hurts your knee, then don't do squats.  There are plenty of other ways to hit those muscles.  If your body is telling you that you can't run another mile (and I mean your body, not your mind), then don't run another mile.  If your legs need a break from running, maybe try swimming.  On the flip side, if your body tells you it wants to sprint, then by all means, sprint - until it tells you to stop.  If you need a rest day, take a rest day - the hard part is recognizing the difference between your mind wanting a rest day (which is totally valid, as long as it's not just pure laziness) and your body actually needing one. 

So, there you have it boys and girls.  I've found that following these three rules has helped me to minimize injuries as I've gotten older and kept me from having to sit out too much.  The times when I haven't followed one of these rules have led to pain and heartache (and by that I mean painful plantar fasciitis that I decided to just keep running through, which eventually led me to take an extended break from running and jumping).  

By no means will these eliminate all injuries - there are always chronic things and freak accidents and events outside of your control.  But using a little common sense is just a good idea, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment