Friday, December 13, 2013

You gotta walk the walk

I love to walk.  I walk all the time.  I walk at least a mile and a half, if not more, to and from work most days.  The only days I don't do it is if the weather is crappy (rainy, snowy, or super duper hot or cold). 

I'm actually kind of bummed that we're moving to an office that's closer to home for me.  It's going to cut about a half mile off of my walk each day.

There's a subway that I could take that would take me a lot less time. But I choose not to use it. I'd rather walk.

I walk at lunch when I can.  Sometimes I have a destination, sometimes I don't.  But it doesn't matter.

I walk on the weekends with the dog when he wants.  Sometimes he wants to get up at 5:30 or 6 a.m. and walk a mile or so.  It's not my workout for the day, of course, but it is an awesome way to get the day started.  Before the neighborhood wakes up.  When it's just the birds and the deer and us.

Sometimes we'll go to the park and walk.  Chase the bunnies and the birds and he'll sniff all the trees.  It's not much of an aerobic exercise, but I still love it.

Yes, I know that walking has a ton of health benefits.  But that's not really why I do it.  I have no idea how many steps I walk a day.  I don't wear a pedometer.

When I walk, I don't even really count it as part of my activity for the day.  It's a transition time.  It's a way to gear up for the day, or decompress after hours of sitting at my desk. 

It's when I can think.  Or not. 

It's when I can focus on what's going on around me.  Or when I can just tune out the world.

It's when I can listen to music without interruption.  Or listen to the ambient noises of the city or the neighborhood.

And sure, walking is a way to get in a little bit of extra movement throughout the day.  It's a way to get the blood flowing, get the mind moving, get the juices flowing.  

It's also a great way to see a new city, or explore a town that you've known your whole life.  You can move as fast or as slow as you want. 

I know enough not to take for granted any day that I can get out of bed and walk.

I love walking.  It's one of my favorite things to do. It helps me maintain my sanity during the week when I'm stuck in a city that can drive anyone insane. It helps me relax on the weekend, especially when I can get out and soak up nature.

I sincerely think that everyone that's able should walk as much as possible every day.  The world would be a much better place if they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment