I just got back after a week away from home. I was in Orlando for a mix of both work and pleasure. Three nights for a conference, and four nights at Disney.
Even though I was working from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. each day I was at the conference, I still got in a workout every morning.
At Disney, we slept in a bit, but were still up and at 'em by around 8:30 or so every morning. And we were out all day until around 9 or 10. Yet, I still got in a workout every morning (except for the day we were leaving).
True, they weren't my usual workouts. I didn't necessarily have the time, or equipment, to do a 30-45 minute strength workout with free weights. But, I planned ahead, brought a pilates band and resistance band with me, and used those, as well as my own body weight and the internet, to get in a decent workout every day.
I get that some people just don't like to work out when they're not at home, but, for the most part, I don't buy that they don't have enough time or the necessary equipment to work up a sweat. I mean, you can't wake up 10 minutes earlier and bust out a few pushups and squats? Or take a quick walk outside a few times during the day?
I generally find that vacations actually inherently make me move more. And definitely in different ways than I'm used to.
For example, the resort we stayed at in Disney, the Caribbean Beach Resort, has mini beaches around the lake that's the center of the resort. I generally don't get an opportunity to work out on the beach, so despite the chilly temperatures (seriously, Florida - 55 degrees?!), I got my butt to the beach one day for a workout. Unsurprisingly, my basic workout was so much harder on the beach. I could barely hold a plank for 30 seconds! (Maybe I'm just getting weaker?)
I also used to pilates band and the resistance band to do some new workouts that I found online. And, at the hotel for my conference, I made it to the gym one morning and got to use the rowing machine and the assisted pull-up/dip machine. Both of which are woefully missing from the gym at our apartment complex.
Not to mention the time that I spent walking around the conference all
day. Which was probably much more walking than I would have done at the
office, getting up to go to the bathroom or the kitchen or to talk to
my boss a few times a day. When we were at Disney, we walked around the theme parks for hours during the day. During a regular day at work, the most I walk is probably 30 minutes at a time, to and from work.
I get it if you don't want to workout when you're on vacation or on a business trip. You're not home, you're off your schedule, and you have a really comfy hotel bed that you just want to stay snuggled into as long as possible.
But saying that you don't have the time or the equipment to workout is just silly. You just have to prepare ahead and maybe get a little creative.
Pack some resistance bands or pilates bands. They take up virtually no room (although I would put them in a plastic bag so that the rubbery smelly doesn't rub off on all of your clothes). If you really have some extra room, throw your TRX in your suitcase.
Use what's available to you. That might be a hotel gym, a beach, a bench, or a big rock. It could also be your heavy purse for some added weight or a pillow for some extra instability (just try to remember what pillow you use so that you don't sleep on one that you stepped on earlier in the day).
Make up your own workout or look on YouTube, Shape, Men's Health, or Google for a workout that works within your time constraints.
It may seem like a pain, but I think it's totally worth it. It kick starts my day and makes me feel slightly better about all the crap that I will inevitably eat.
It is still vacation, after all. You don't need to be a saint.
No comments:
Post a Comment